Your organization should have in place, a standard way of running performance appraisals. It is important to follow this so that all your performance appraisals are run consistently across your team.
A performance review should be a positive and fair two-way conversation that is objective and encouraging.
The outcome of a performance review discussion is to review and agree on what has been achieved and where there are areas for development.
Before Conducting a Review:
Below are some simple tips that will help you get ready to manage your performance discussion effectively:
- Be prepared: review the performance form – noting any significant points of discussion
- Consider all the elements outlined in the form
- Using the questions as prompts, recall examples to support the discussion
- Reach out to key stakeholders for feedback
- Allow enough time to be allocated for the performance discussion and book a room
Many organisations today use an online performance appraisal tool where both the leader and employee need to complete their assessments prior to the meeting. Make sure you have allowed enough time to have completed your assessment ahead of time i.e., a week in advance of the scheduled review time.
During the Discussions
The discussion should cover overall performance, personal strengths, areas of improvement or growth, insights on the role and goals for the future. It is important to document the conversation in terms of commitments and expectations with timeframes for the next review.
Here are some simple tips for the discussion:
- Meet in a quiet space free from interruption.
- Speak candidly and seek to learn from each other – this will help strengthen your working relationship and performance
- Ask open-ended questions
- Actively listen and refrain from interrupting
- Take accurate notes
Frequency of Reviews
When we work with our clients, we will recommend a cadence for running your performance reviews taking into account the size of your organisation, and the type and structure of your business and also what business outcomes you are driving.
Here at Hello Monday, we are here to help. We will help and guide you with a performance review process that is tailored to your organisation. Contact us today at email@example.com or 09 377 5200 to discuss how we can help streamline your performance review process and them more effective.